Monday, June 8, 2009

As Promised....


Here are the pictures of my "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt.

Before those of you (that are familiar with the traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts) start asking questions...I taught myself how to make the "flowers" using Quilt Patis templates. I didn't KNOW that there was a traditional pattern (at the time ~ over 4 years ago). I just made it the way that I LIKED it.

Again, at the time, I didn't know how to do the traditional finished edge...I cut a straight edge into my hexagons and added borders.

The CENTER of this quilt was pieced entirely by HAND! It took me a little over a year to make. I machine-pieced the borders. I had an award winning long-armer quilt it. There was NO WAY that I was going to attemp to hand quilt it!

Hand quilting is NOT my thing. I LOVE hand applique (with wool) but not quilting.

Anyhoo...finished the binding last night. Took me 4 years to pull it off of the shelf and get it done and that's only because I'm teaching a class in a couple of weeks. lol lol

5 comments:

  1. I would put a mention in my blog for you but it would be useless its a barren waste land over there. I'm just starting out.
    But the quilt really is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really only been at it (seriously) for about a month and a half.

    What's your blog's name? I'll follow you and tweet you. :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, click on headchange's link, just after the "blogger" symbol. The link for the blog will be right at the top of the list! I just followed & tweeted it. Hey- do you even follow my blog?
    Your quilt is astonishing! Gorgeous!!!
    ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh...yes, I'm following your blog. Thx for noticing. :(

    roflmao Thx for the head's up (pun NOT intended) off to follow headchange.

    ReplyDelete